Little Women Was One of the Best Movies of 2019

Ava Bromley, Staff Writer

Little Women, an American coming of age period drama written and directed by Great Gerwig, is one of the many film adaptations of the 1868 novel written by Louisa May Alcott, and is a comforting, well-done movie you can watch with family and friends.

It stars an ensemble cast consisting of Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Emma Watson, Eliza Scanlen, Timothée Chalamet, Meryl Streep, and many more. Many of the well-known actors and actresses have won awards such as Golden Globes, British Independent Film Award for Best Actress, Academy Awards, People’s Choice Awards, and an Emmy Award. 

Freshman Madison Fishkin said, “I think it is an amazing way to represent the good nature of the time period.” There were many problems with life in the 1800s, but Little Woman brings a more friendly and good-natured approach to this period of time. 

“I think this version of the movie represents the book very well. Greta, the director, made sure even the little things fit the representation of the 19-century story,” Fishkin said. 

Greta Gerwig represented good and not so good times in the story. She would flip back and forth from the past and the present and the color accents would change from light and yellow, to dark and blue to represent the change in mood.

“I think it was one of the best movies of 2019 because it really brought the story to life,” said freshman Grace Robertson. The novel describes what is happening, but the film gives a representation of what is happening throughout the novel. “It captured the idea of family, and how important it is. It shows the relationships of the sisters, who aren’t pictured or expected to be perfect. Little Women was one of the best movies of 2019 because it shows how a not so wealthy family in the 1800s can come together and tell this story” Fishkin said. 

Little Women brought an amazing story to the screen, and I think it represented the novel well. According to students, Little Women was one of the best movies of 2019, and I give it 5 out of 5 stars.  

Little Women can be watched by a variety of ages starting from 9, everyone can enjoy this film.