Olivia Rodrigo’s debut new single “Driver’s License” is the best breakup song of 2021

Caroline McDonough, Sports Editor

Olivia Rodrigo is a 17-year-old American actress and singer-songwriter; she has recently starred in High School Musical: The Musical: The Series in 2019. In January 2020, Olivia briefly appeared on the Hot 100 placing No. 90 with her song “All I Want” which appeared in the HSM:TM:TS soundtrack. 

Now, after just releasing her debut new single “Drivers License” 14 days ago it has already reached the top of the streaming charts.

Fans of Olivia and her new song have shared their love and theories behind the song’s heartbroken lyrics all over social media. Many teens and young adults can relate to the song’s heartbroken lyrics as Olivia sings “and I just can’t imagine how you could be so okay now that I’m gone.” This phrase is repeatedly used in the song and for sure puts listeners in the blues.

According to Billboard.com, “Drivers License” has been streamed 76.1 million times in the U.S. and has more streams in three days than the No.1 song on the Billboard’s Streaming Songs listing “Mood” sung by 24k Goldn and featuring Iann Dior. Her song has just become the No. 1 song in the world and has reached the top of the Billboard Global 200 and the U.S.-based Billboard Hot 100 Chart. 

Olivia Rodrigo has received praise from many different artists including her inspiration an idol Taylor Swift, who commented on Olivia’s Instagram post after she captioned a post “next to Taylor on the U.S. iTunes chart I’m in a puddle of tears” which Swift responded with “I say that’s my baby and I’m really proud.”  After her most successful song “Drivers license” It is no doubt that Olivia Rodrigo is a rising pop star in the making.