Ask James: How do I deal with my anxiety about people around me not wearing their masks correctly?

Once+again%2C+the+little+Cardinal+who+could+demonstrates+proper+mask+use.+

Illustration by Kellyn Meadows

Once again, the little Cardinal who could demonstrates proper mask use.

James Newman, Advice Columnist

How do I deal with my anxiety about people around me not wearing their masks correctly?

– Anxious Student

Dear Anxious,

I completely understand the feeling of discomfort around people who don’t wear their masks correctly. It can make you feel almost unsafe in the classroom, but luckily for you, I am here to help.

One way that you can help your situation is to talk to the student and express your discomfort and mention that they need to wear their mask correctly. If that doesn’t go according to plan which it might not, then go to the teacher and ask if they can do something about it, which they can because it is their job to teach and protect you and your peers during this pandemic and we can’t all be safe if someone isn’t respecting and following the rules.

If this happens again and you’re close to them (as in they’re seated right next to you) then ask to switch seats and if that’s not possible then it might be time to talk to an administrator or parent and have them do something about it because you and your teacher had already intervened.

It is important to express your discomfort but also to mention when someone is not following the rules. You are entitled to a safe and welcoming school environment and don’t forget it.

I hope this helped you. See you again XOXO,

James