Crofton High School Celebrated its First Spirit Week

Chloe Haseltine and Lily Haseltine

After the cancellation of what would have been Crofton High School’s first homecoming last fall, the community anticipated the events of this year’s homecoming celebration. 

Due to the rising cases of Coronavirus in the county, and the Delta variant, the school system cancelled this year’s homecoming dance.

Crofton High School’s Spirit Week this year was September 27-October 1, 2021. The themes for spirit week were Maryland Monday, Team Tuesday, Out of this world Wednesday, Throwback Thursday, and School Colors Friday with gold for freshmen, black for sophomores, and red for juniors.

The Crofton High School Pep rally took place on Friday, October 1 with performances from Crofton High Schools Dance Company, the Marching Band, and Crofton High School’s Cheer Teams. Crofton’s Varsity Football homecoming game took place on October 1st at 6:30pm.

The student sections boasted a large turnout of CrHS students, wearing white for the “white out” theme of the game that night. After the conclusion of the 2nd quarter, marching band, cheer, and Crofton High School’s own Dance Company performed on the turf. 

Crofton’s Homecoming Court was also announced that night during halftime. For the Freshman, Molly Miller was voted Homecoming Duchess, and Niko Williams was voted homecoming Duke. For the Sophomores, Lucy Dennis was voted Homecoming Princess and Ben Surlis was voted Prince. Finally, for the Juniors, Caitlin Alexander was voted homecoming Queen, and Ryan Morningred was voted King. 

The Homecoming Parade took place on October 2. Parade-watchers parked at Crofton Middle School the morning of October 2, and walked into Crofton High School to watch the parade. 

Crofton High’s first parade displayed the sports teams and their members, along with some of the clubs at CrHS. After the conclusion of the parade, everyone went to the stadium to get food from the food trucks, and watch live performances from Crofton’s Dance Company and Crofton High Schools Junior Varsity and Varsity Cheer. The Marching Band also concluded the day with music performances.