Crofton Boy’s Basketball Loses to Northeast High School 56-40

Mason Lumpkin-Jones, Staff Writer

On February 11, 2022, Northeast High School’s basketball team beat the Crofton Cardinals  56-40. At halftime Northeast was leading 29-15. In the 4th quarter both teams had a total of 10 fouls. 

Head Coach Mr. Jeff Starr stated that “the team is developing” and that they have taken some “small steps forward” since this is the team’s first year. He said he hopes that the team can make improvements before the end of the season and that there’s room for improvement and developing as a team. 

One of the team coaches, Junior Ian Lenkart, number 10,said that the team “is improving together and playing together each week”. He also said “it’s tough because they’re starting a new team and we don’t really have chemistry”. He agreed that there is “definitely room for improvement”. He felt his strongest play was the rebound comeback he made.

The other team coach Junior Layth Carpenter, number 1, said that “the team had its ups and downs” and “the team’s chemistry is getting better and better each week.” He also said that “there is 100% room for improvement and we are getting better and better each game” and that the “last 8 games 6 of them have been within a single digit loss.” He said his strongest play was opening the game with the first shot with a pull-up jump shot.

The team also struggled because they lost two players, one due to an injury and one to other circumstances.