5 Books All Teens Should Give a Try

Ava Bromley, Senior Staff Writer

Reading is something I believe everyone can enjoy, if they read the right book that is. A lot of people don’t give reading a try because they think it’s “boring” or they simply just can’t find a book they are interested in. There are roughly around 129, 864, 880 books in the world that you could choose from, but for right now I am just going to give you 5 book recommendations that I think at least one person can enjoy and relate to. 

Out of those 129,864,880 books, here are my 5 favorites: 

5.) Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I could not put this book down once I picked it up. I read it in 2 days. Daisy Jones & The Six is inspired by the famous 70s and 80s band Fleetwood Mac. It tells the despairing story between two front band mates Daisy Jones and Billy Dunne. This story is full of ups, downs, twists, and turns. This is one of my favorite books because it feels like you are part of the band and living their story. If you are looking for a book that will have you intrigued from the first page, give Daisy Jones & The Six a try. 

4.) Beautiful Boy: A Father’s Journey Through His Son’s Addiction by David Sheff

Beautiful Boy: A Father’s Journey Through His Son’s Addiction by David Sheff is a book that is more on the serious side. Beautiful Boy is based on a true story of David Sheff having to watch his son Nic Sheff battle a methamphetamine addiction. This story is truly heartbreaking. David Sheff writes this book from his point of view so we really get to feel how he is feeling and experience his son’s addiction through his writing. This is one of my favorites books I have ever read because it is so raw and emotional, you feel so many different emotions when reading. Beautiful Boy: A Father’s Journey Through His Son’s Addiction is a book I think every teenager should read.

3.) Beautiful World, Where Are You? By Sally Rooney

If I am going to be completely honest, I was not a huge fan of this book at first. When I first read it I didn’t really think it was for me. Sometimes those are the best kind of books. Beautiful World, Where Are You? is a book that tells a story from two different points of view. The first point of view is from a girl named Alice. Alice is a very successful novelist, who has a nervous breakdown and rents an old rectory away from everyone she knows. She ends up meeting someone there who she really hits it off with. Eileen is who the other point of view is told from. Eileen is an editorial assistant who recently went through a horrible breakup. During her time grieving she reaches out to an old friend for support, who ends up changing her life forever. Beautiful World, Where Are You? is a book that does focus on more mature topics, but it truly is a beautiful story. 

2.) Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman

Call Me By Your Name is one of the most beautiful yet tragically sad books I have ever read. If you are looking for a short book that will break your heart, this is it. Call Me By Your Name is a coming of age story set in Lombardy, Italy in 1983. It tells the story of 17 year old Elio, and the relationship that develops between him and a 24 year old student named Oliver who has come to visit Elio’s father to continue his studies. Elio and Oliver develop a very unique but lovely relationship that ends up taking a turn for the worst. No matter how many times I read this book, I always end up in tears. Call Me By Your Name does focus on some mature content as well as some of the others, but the story is tremendously intriguing. 

1.) Conversations With Friends by Sally Rooney

The last book I am going to write about is Conversations With Friends by Sally Rooney. Conversations With Friends is one of my all time favorite books because of the relatable characters, and the realism of it. The book deals with 21 year old Frances, a college student in Dublin, and 31 year old Nick who is an actor. The story is a development of their relationship and all the ups and downs of it. Frances is a very complex main character and one of my personal favorites. She struggles with expressing her emotions, and she lets her insecurities get in the way of doing things she loves. The book itself is written so well and right when I started I couldn’t stop reading it. This book has one of my favorite book endings I have ever read. Conversations With Friends is a stunning display of how life can throw you curveballs, but you can always make the best out of it.

These books are my personal favorites because even though they are all vastly different, they are all exceptional in their own way. I hope these recommendations were helpful and I hope at least one of these books resonates with you.