Summer Opportunities for Crofton Juniors

Alexandra Mancuso, News Editor

As the 2022-2023 school year comes to a close Crofton Cardinals, in specific juniors, are out seeking job and internship opportunities. From coaching swim teams to serving at a retirement home, meaningful enrichment opportunities are abundant. For the class of 2024, college applications are just around the corner, and adding summer jobs or internships are great ways to elevate those resumes. 

One such opportunity for student work is at local retirement homes. Exploring these opportunities, eleventh grader Allie Karner shares her experience working at Spring Arbor of Crofton. Karner illustrates how her perspective of a simple resume booster has grown into something more meaningful. Karner explains, “I did it because I was looking for an opportunity to look good for college and it turned into something I really love to do.” The eleventh grader passionately continues by sharing the benefits of her job, “I like to interact with the residents who like to give me some wisdom and new perspectives.” 

Other students found work coaching at local businesses. Junior Emily Krukoff, who works during the summer as an assistant coach for the Crofton Country Club swim team, shares her views on the importance of a summer job. The junior shared, “I think it’s important for high schoolers to get a job this summer to learn about responsibility and working experience.” Comparably, eleventh grader Jack McDonough who works at Sunset Gardens Nursery explained how having a summer job prepares students for the workforce stating, “it gives them insight of what the workforce is like in the real world.” While preparing for future jobs seems to be an evident reason for employment this summer, students also comment on the importance relative to applying to college. 

Internships are an additional way students can gain work experience and add to their applications. In search of an internship at a law firm, court house, or at the Library of Congress is junior Chris Hayes. Hayes stated, “I think it’s very beneficial for juniors to get summer internships because having an internship shows interest when applying to colleges.” Furthermore, Hayes reveals what the process has been like while in pursuit of an internship. Working with Crofton High’s Work Based Learning Facilitator, Ms. Claire Dillon, Hayes explained, “The process has been long but Ms. Dillon has been really helpful. Not only in helping me find the internship but also explaining why I should do it.” Hayes is seeking opportunities that will aid him in a future in politics and law. 

Overall, it’s clear that summer jobs and internships provide valuable experiences and opportunities for high school juniors. From gaining new skills, responsibilities, and perspectives, to enhancing resumes and showing interest in future career paths, these summer endeavors offer many benefits beyond just earning a paycheck. As the school year comes to a close, Crofton Cardinals should take advantage of the abundance of enrichment opportunities available in the community and consider pursuing summer employment.