Teacher Feature: Mrs. Spencer Teaches English and Special Education

Aidan Frank, Staff Writer

Ms. Claire Spencer teaches English 9 and 10 and Special Education. She also leads Crofton High Schools’ yoga club. The yoga club meets on Tuesday during black block and Thursday during gold block.

Ms. Spencer was raised in Derwood in Montgomery County Maryland.  She received her high school education at the Academy of the Holy Names. The Academy of the Holy Names in Silver Spring focused on preparation for college. 

At the University of Maryland College Park, Ms. Spencer studied business management. After graduation from college, she worked for the National Institutes of Health. Ms. Spencer applied her business management skills at NIH working under the now widely recognized public health expert, Dr. Anthony Fauci. 

Although working at NIH was very prestigious, Ms. Spencer decided to change careers and become a teacher. She began her teaching career in Glen Burnie at Corcoran Middle School. She worked at Corcoran Middle for 6 years before coming to Crofton High School.

Ms. Spencer’s favorite part of teaching is helping students achieve their goals and celebrating their successes. One of the most rewarding aspects of teaching for her is the connections she makes with students and the positive impact those connections have leading to student success.

“Ms. Spencer is pretty nice to us and always helps with our work,” said sophomore Alyssa Glover who has her for English 10. “She is a wonderful teacher and is always very happy and vibrant,” said freshman Mason Lumpkin-Jones.

According to Ms. Spencer, another rewarding aspect of being a teacher is being able to contribute to student knowledge concerning succeeding in the world around them.